36 Weeks

As you can tell by the countdown clock…we only have a few more days. Yes, it had been decided a few weeks back that we have to do a c-section. It was a particularly rough day for me to give up my dreams of a VBAC but I am owning it now and have moved on. It doesn’t have to be a traumatic c-section. I can drink some tea on the way to the hospital and waltz right in and get her out. The more I say it, the better I feel. I am scheduled for an amnio at 7:30am on Monday morning and a c-section at 1:30 in the afternoon! I tried to refuse the amnio but of course “hospital rules.” They won’t deliver early without doing it.

Well, this past Monday didn’t really go the way I thought it would go. Lets just consider it a “dry run” for when we DO go into the hospital to have this baby.

Monday morning, I was having some slight cramping, felt like my period was going to start. Now, the logical side of me knew that it was probably just braxton hicks…but the freaked out part of me was thinking it was a very similar feeling the night Everett died. There really is no difference…my placental abruption felt like labor and had all the classic labor signs. My doctor asked me to track the contractions…I started at 9:30 this morning and as we got closer to noon, Dale and I just felt too nervous. I of course had been feeling her move and listened to her heart rate -she seemed to be just fine. I called my nurse again with a report and she was going to let me just keep tracking and if anything changed to call in. I interrupted her and said, honey, I would feel better coming in. These feelings are eerily similar to 2 years ago. When I said that, she said, OH!! Go straight to the hospital right now. I was 10 minutes from the hospital, on my way to pick up Lindy from her theatre camp class at her daddy’s work -super convenient. The minute I saw Dale, I burst into tears. A mixture of emotions. He dropped everything, we had a dear friend at the same camp that was able to help with Lindy. I drove myself to the hospital, Dale was not far behind, just trying to arrange details for Lindy. I was taken to triage and the kind nurse let us listen for the heartbeat first before doing all the paperwork. A beautiful heartbeat. Sigh of relief.

We monitored the heartrate and contractions for hours and then my doctor came in an checked on us. I LOVE that she is on the same page. She requested that we stay the night just to monitor everything closely. There was no cause for concern, everything looked just fine. She brought an ultrasound machine in to check the placenta and everything looked great. We were emotional wrecks those first few hours. We were still in triage, so a small room with a bed that the mattress kept falling out from underneath me. So uncomfortable to have to lay on your back on a bed like that. Had to get an IV since I was not allowed to eat after midnight…just in case we had to deliver the next day. I HATE IVs. I can’t stand feeling them, looking at them, or knowing that they are there. Ugh. I probably didn’t move my hand for 10 hours because it had an IV in it. At midnight, they finally moved us to a birthing suite -a more comfortable place for the night. It was heaven compared to triage. Dale had a pull-out bed and I could lay on my sides with these new baby monitors that worked no matter what.

The ironic thing is that our bags were “packed” but I had taken everything out to double check that day and left it all over the bed -so they weren’t really packed anymore. ha. Not very helpful. Needless to say, they are packed and in the trunk of my car now.

So, that was our trial run.

Yesterday was particularly rough. I think I listened to her heartbeat at home 16 times (thanks Mindy for the monitor!!!). Yesterday was the day I had my placental abruption two years ago. 36 weeks, 3 days. Every ache and pain I have sends me into hyper sensitivity mode. Trying to remain calm yet not wanting to ignore anything. I can’t go to the hospital everytime I feel a contraction and yet I don’t want to ignore anything that could possibly be happening.

Our “lists” of things to do before she comes is dwindling. If she decides to come today, we are “ready” at home, have everything set into place. Dale has been nesting for me -what a great guy. Literally staying up until 2am, cleaning house. Last night he mopped all the wood floors on his hands and knees. Only because his wife is psychotic and wants those things done. All the laundry is done and put away. The bills are paid, letters mailed out, dog is getting groomed tomorrow, pedicure on Friday…not that any of this matters in the grand scheme of life; but it feels good to be prepared.

35 Weeks

35 Weeks

I gotta go take a nap now. That tired me out.

Later today…pictures of the finished nursery!


Leave a Comment